Enterprise Media Group collected more than 70 awards company wide — including its newspapers in Washington, Burt, Seward and Saline counties — in the Nebraska Press Association's annual Better Newspaper Contest.
The 2021 NPA Convention was held virtually this year due to coronavirus concerns. The NPA released the results of its contest Thursday on YouTube. This year's entries were judged by the Kentucky Press Association.
The Washington County newspapers — the Pilot-Tribune, Enterprise and Arlington Citizen — earned 22 first-place awards.
The Enterprise received the Omaha World-Herald's Service to Agriculture award in its circulation category.
The Pilot-Tribune and Enterprise finished second and third, respectively, in the Class D (2,500 and greater circulation) print sweepstakes. The Citizen finished third in the Class A print sweepstakes.
The Pilot-Tribune received first place in general excellence for Class D, while the Citizen finished third in Class A.
Washington County Pilot-Tribune and Enterprise and Arlington Citizen
• Use of computer graphics, Pilot-Tribune, “A taste of the 1950s,” Alaina Albright
• Newspaper organized or sponsored event, Enterprise, Blair Volunteer Fire Department 150th calendar, Paul Swanson, Paige Anderson, Jen Stolz
• Agricultural advertisement, Pilot-Tribune, Gene Steffy, Rachel Birdsall and Lynette Hansen
• Classified section, Arlington Citizen, staff
• Single retail advertising idea – black and white, Pilot-Tribune, Lower Elkhorn NRD, Rachel Birdsall and Paige Anderson
• Sports feature photo, Enterprise, BMX flip, Grant Egger
• Sports page, Enterprise, Scott Strenger, Sandy Diaz, Alaina Albright
• Sports column, Arlington Citizen, Grant Egger
• Sports feature writing, Arlington Citizen, “The family business,” Grant Egger
• Photo page, Enterprise, “Making a splash,” Joe Burns and Elizabeth Elliott
• News photography, Arlington Citizen, “A lasting remembrance,” Joe Burns
• News photography, Pilot-Tribune, “The final call,” Joe Burns
• Breaking news photography, Enterprise, “Lakeland house destroyed by fire,” Leeanna Ellis
• Breaking news, Arlington Citizen, “We watched our house burn,” Elizabeth Elliott
• Editorial page, Arlington Citizen, staff
• Editorial page, Pilot-Tribune, staff
• Headline writing, Enterprise, staff
• General excellence, Pilot-Tribune, staff
• Special section (multiple publication days), Pilot-Tribune, Salute to Ag/Ag Outlook, staff
• Youth coverage, Enterprise, staff
• Coronavirus pandemic, Pilot-Tribune, staff
• Online video, Pilot-Tribune, “Blair Cruise Night,” Leeanna Ellis