UPDATE: Two arrested near Kennard after Friday morning standoff


Two suspects allegedly involved in a Thursday evening standoff with police in Omaha were taken into custody Friday morning after a standoff near Kennard with Nebraska State Troopers and the Pottawattamie County Sheriff's Office.

The suspects were identified as Jason Davenport and Dana Banks. Both sustained non-life-threatening injuries before being taken into custody. No officers were injured either in Omaha or Kennard, according to Troopers.

The suspects hid inside a semi cab in a large shop building off Highway 30 early Friday morning. Law enforcement officials gave repeated commands for Davenport and Banks to exit the vehicle, according to Troopers. Neither suspect was willing to surrender, and law enforcement officials saw that Davenport was in possession of a firearm that he "displayed" toward the officers, according to Troopers.

Troopers then fired, and Banks soon exited the vehicle and surrendered to Troopers. She was taken into custody and transported to the University of Nebraska Medical Center, according to Troopers. At that time, Davenport remained in the vehicle.

The Pottawattamie County Sheriff's Office brought an armored vehicle to the scene that was used to gain access to the semi cab, and just after 8 a.m. Friday a Nebraska State Troopers K9 was released, at which time Davenport was taken into custody and transported to UNMC, according to Troopers.

A variety of charges are pending against Davenport and Banks in both Washington and Douglas counties.

The pursuit of Davenport began at 8:15 Thursday evening in the 6200 block of South 30th Street in Omaha when Troopers were following up on a previous investigation at the residence, according to Troopers. Troopers thought that Davenport was inside the residence in question, and Banks confirmed that he was.

Davenport had an active arrest warrant from Pottawattamie County, Troopers said.

At approximately 8:56 p.m. Thursday, Davenport exited the rear of the residence and fired at least two rounds from a handgun, Troopers said. He tried unsuccessfully to steal an unoccupied Nebraska State Troopers cruiser, at which time "several Troopers and an OPD officer" fired at Davenport.

At that time, a gray Ford Fusion drove up to the cruiser, and Banks exited the vehicle and approached Davenport, Troopers said. Davenport used Banks as a human shield to get into the Fusion, and then Banks allegedly walked voluntarily around the vehicle and entered on the passenger's side, Troopers said.

Law enforcement officers pursued the vehicle through the Upland Park neighborhood in Omaha, but eventually officers lost visual contact.

Around 3 a.m. Friday, a Washington County Sheriff's deputy tried to stop a Kia Soul that was believed to be stolen, Troopers said. The  driver fled and a pursuit ensued, Troopers said. The vehicle was later found to be occupied by both Davenport and Banks.

After a short pursuit, Davenport and Banks exited the vehicle and fled on foot, eventually ending up in the large shop building where Banks surrendered and Davenport was apprehended.