Blair house heavily damaged by fire


A house sustained extensive damage following a fire Saturday night in Blair.

Firefighters from Blair and Fort Calhoun responded to the blaze around 9 p.m. in the 700 block of North Second Street.

When firefighters arrived, they reported fire on the back of the house and moving up the south side of the residence, Fire Chief Dave Aten said.

The fire started on the deck and quickly spread to the attic, causing an estimated $90,000 in damage. The cause of the fire was reportedly due to a faulty propane fire pit, which the homeowner was trying to light at the time. The wind was also a factor.

Aten said the fire was under control in about 30 minutes.

The homeowners and a pet were able to escape the house without injury.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment