Nebraska Gov. Pete Ricketts recently announced the opening of high school weight rooms on June 1.
In response, the NSAA — noting that it was prioritizing the health and safety of all students and staff — released the following requirements for voluntary strength and conditioning sessions next month:
- Maintain social distance by being 6 feet apart
- Follow gathering guidelines of groups of 10 or less students
- Groups of 10 or less must be pre-determined
- Once groups determined, students may not switch from one group to another
- Interaction between groups shall be avoided
- Sessions can only include weightlifting, running, and exercises designed to promote physical fitness
- Sport-specific drills are not permitted, and sport-specific equipment may not be used
- Implement diligent and effective cleaning and disinfecting of frequently touched objects and surfaces following the guidance of the CDC.
It is the responsibility of each NSAA member school to comply with the above requirements.
School sponsored camps, clinics and open gyms remain prohibited. Requirements for weight room and conditioning sessions may be adjusted.